The Sun

The Sun

Tuesday, May 18, 2010

Knowing the will of God

This is challenge No. 2.

This one has been a little tougher for me to answer, but a very important one for me to personally grapple with. The challenge, said in love, has caused me to seek God continually on the subject and I am finally feeling like I have some sort of answer. I am sure there is much more to be revealed by the Almighty.

I have always been sure, at least 95% of the time lol, that our actions are within the will of God. However when hardships come, a challenge is received, or any other thing afflicting one's heart and mind, it is the single query that arises ... "Are we doing your will, Lord?" "Have we done the right thing (what You want)?" "Father, if we have stepped out of Your will at all, let us know and we will repent and do whatever You say." The expressions of the concern are different, but essentially all point to the same desire - to do only what God requires of us.

A comment was made that if we heard the audible voice of God, no argument. But if what we heard was only within ourselves, then it is subject to the interpretation of what we ourselves, want (in the natural). I completely understand this idea, and it seems quite logical - and safe!

My initial response to this is that the step of Shane leaving work was not borne from just us. There was a third party involved who confirmed the action. Thus it was not just within our spirits, but witnessed within the spirit of a person outside the situation.

For me personally it was a very difficult thing to grapple with as my first husband committed suicide the night he declared he wanted to leave work. Consequently there came a fear within me about being left without adequate income, and worse, my husband. God worked on me several months prior to Shane leaving work and brought me to a place of trusting in the Lord, even if Shane's job ended. At that time I went through a grieving and a letting go process. In this I see His divine hand at work months before we even knew that we would be called to do just that. The week the question of Shane's resignation arose, I still understood the seriousness of it and it took me over 2 days to clear my own self (fears, doubts, worries, stress) out of the way to hear what God was saying. When I finally put myself out of the way, God's confirmation came flooding as a river of peace, truly beyond comprehension. He then reminded me of my prayer to Him a couple of weeks earlier when I had asked Him if it was time for Shane to leave work. Surely God's hand must be evident in these things.

That's two reasons. The third is that there was several days between the decision being made and the actual handing in of his resignation. We asked God to give us clear indication if this was not His plan for us. We waited upon Him, sought Him, bothered Him continuously, and still His peace and joy flowed.

This same seeking has been continued throughout the 3 months since Shane's last day at work, especially when the tough times hit. He has continued to encourage us, not only through our own spirit-to-Holy Spirit meetings, but also through messages at Church, through the Word For Today daily readings, our own daily Bible reading, and other places. Sometimes I think God must believe us completely unfaithful since we keep asking the same questions. He is so full of grace and mercy!!!

However, knowing all this, I kept coming back to the thought of the audible voice of God and our own hearts interpreting the Spirit how WE WANT to. This is where I feel some breakthrough happened this morning, and I believe I have a better grasp on knowing God's will, or more specifically, hearing God's will.

I must first make mention of 2 visions. One was one Shane had a month or so back. He saw a sailing ship at sea heading towards a dangerous reef. It appeared that the ship would crash, but as the ship drew ever closer he began to make out a very narrow gap between the deathly rocks. The ship, seemingly near impending doom, was guided through that impossibly narrow gap and found plain sailing on the other side. Disaster had been avoided by staying focussed on that narrow way.

My vision came sometime after that. I saw myself standing on a tightrope, held high above a void. I knew I was on the narrow path. To step even slightly to the right or left would bring death, but so long as I followed that narrow path exactly, I was safe.

I believe that we both received a different image to describe that which is found in Matthew 7:13-14 'The Narrow and Wide Gates'. However I also believe it was a personal message to stay on the path. Yes, doom and destruction appears to been hard-pressed against us, but God has the way through for us.

That brings us back to this morning when, after our praise and worship time, God brought the same vision to me, with an update. He again placed me on the tightrope and I was somewhere on it where I was totally exposed and yet knew I was 100% safe. He was with me, though I could not see Him. Joy and peace filled me and flowed out from me. I looked down and on the left side of the rope there was a sea of angry sharks. To the right were stacks and stacks of money. The thin line of the tightrope was all that separated them. I enquired of the Lord, "Well, why don't you send the money to the sharks and save us?" I felt the tightrope droop a little and I was lowered slightly toward the sharks and money. Then I felt a weight come upon me. The joy and peace left and I felt heavy as though I was turning to stone. It is a physical sensation that I have experienced before, but this time I could see the spiritual significance. I asked what it was. "The weight of unbelief," came my Lord's reply. Right there I repented of unbelief and asked to be given a heart of faith. The tightrope returned to it's taut position and with the joy and peace once more returned, we continued our journey along the rope.

There is much in this, but I will try to abbreviate.
* Whenever we take our focus from God, we stop on our journey with Him.
* Whenever we lose a God focus, the circumstances grow more threatening.
* If we worry about the circumstances, we are taking back ownership of those things and they can become our responsibility again if we so choose.
* If we choose a God focus, He will take care of the circumstances and we will continue our walk with Him.

In discussing this with Shane, I came to another very important realisation. We have always, even since before we were married, asked God for His will for us, even down to purchasing second hand furniture, cars and the more important questions of marriage, etc. How did we know then, what God's will was? We knew by the peace, the joy and the simple 'know-that-you-know'. When it was not God's will there was that check in our spirit, like a gentle twist of the heart. The peace, joy and 'know-that-you-know' are the same things we have experienced in this whole Wellspring business. Certain aspects have received that heart-check and have been cast aside. Other details have received neither bad or good witness and they have been put on the maybe list. Hearing from God is no mystery. He does not make it difficult. He does not set us up to fail by not answering when we ask.

So, the scale of what we are walking through now is a lot more scary and hugely more costly than whether this model of car or that model is the right one to buy, or none at all. But does that, or should it, alter how we hear God's will? For Him the matters are as flat as a sheet of paper even when for us they are as extreme as mountaintops and ocean trenches.

An excerpt from a teaching by Greg Laurie:

"If you want to know God's perfect and acceptable will for you, give yourself to God. Present yourself to Him without reservation, 100 percent. God is essentially saying, Give Me your life, and then I will show you My will.

Next, don't let this world squeeze you into its mold. When the Bible speaks of the world, it is speaking of a culture that is largely hostile to God. Live the way that God wants you to live. As you do that, you will begin to discover His plan for you. Then you will know what is the good and acceptable and perfect will of God. (Romans 12:2)."

We have fully committed our lives, our assets, and every part of every day to Him. We had in fact done this a few years ago in terms of our lives and assets, however the surrendering of days were something that took God's timing to arrive at (and now is the reason for these challenges!). But the fact remains...if we were not in His will, I think we would know it by now.

"God is not trying to make your life miserable. He wants you to reach your potential and live in the perfect plan He has for you. His plan and purpose for you is good. Not only is His plan good, it is perfect. No plan of ours can improve on the plan of God. Don't be afraid to surrender it to Him."
Greg Laurie

1 comment:

  1. I'm glad to read about your tightrope vision. I have been able to leave you in God's hands, but every so often I ask Him, "What are You doing over there? Why aren't You ...?" Well, that answers my questions for the meantime. =)

    ReplyDelete