The Sun

The Sun

Monday, March 15, 2010

It's not all about food!

We were worried about food for Wag, although he does have an ample supply of cooking apples which supplement his diet all summer long - self-plucked with velvety lips (that is when there aren't enough on the ground) - but that sort of diet is not adequate for a dog in itself. The number of dog biscuits left equates to 0!

Shortly before 8pm last night the doorbell rang and a kind soul was delivering frozen legs of mutton; enough to feed our dog for about a week. I thought I had finished cooking for the day. haha. Hubby sawed one of the legs of mutton into 2 so it would fit in a pot and I boiled it up with some rice and pasta. This morning I pulled the meat off the bone and added it to the drained carbohydrates and leftover vegetables. Enough for 2.5 days for him, and another leg still to cook up. Isn't God wonderful - and his faithful servant who delivered the meat a real blessing? I think know so! Praise the LORD!!!

Today has been another day of services performed by my husband, clearing gutters and a bit of gardening. Some of the gardening has been at our own place and some at other people's. He usually faces the same questions. How much will it cost? How can you live? It is a real delight to be able answer "free!" or "nothing" to the first question, and "God will provide" to the second.

From one residence he returned with a rich harvest of garden goods. Our fridge and store cupboards are overflowing with fresh produce - beetroot, potatoes, onions, tomatoes, cucumber, lettuce (with hitchhiking protein, ick LOL), lemons and grapefruit. Added to the corn, potatoes, marrows, apple cucumbers, tomatoes, and carrots from the family who visited on Sunday, we are rich in healthy fare. How awesome! It is proving a challenge to my cookery skills, though. I've never been one for using many packet products, preferring to make my own. However when one has little or no protein to turn to, it requires more creativity. The days of preparing a meat dish and then adding vegetables are almost gone. Tonight I am aiming for our first 'vegetarian' meal.

Tomorrow I will settle myself to a task for The Wellspring that is my responsibility. A digital photography group for Amberley is on my radar. We have no money to advertise it, so like with the helping hands, I am starting with what we do have. I know 3 people who would enjoy this group, so that makes 4 of us to start - not bad beginnings. I've already talked to 2 of the people. The internet is going to make sharing of our pics and group challenges accessible and affordable, too.

As I contemplate the ending of the day - preparing dinner, and settling to my cross-stitch after - my mind turns readily to the many blessings I see in my life today. I am rich in love, faith, hope, and peace.

From my Bible reading this morning:
"But the eyes of the Lord are on those who fear him, on those whose hope is in his unfailing love, to deliver them from death, and keep them alive in famine." Psalm 33:18-19


No comments:

Post a Comment